Thursday, 19th May 2022
Die Walkurie, from the Royal Opera House
Opus Arte: OA 1308D. Wagner’s Die Walkurie from the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden.
“Cast includes: John Lundgren singing Wotan, and Nina Stemme as Brünnhilde. Pappano conducts the orchestra of the Royal Opera House in a powerful performance. 1st performance Munich, 1870.”
- Richard Wagner (1813-1883) was a German composer, theatre director and conductor who is chiefly known for his operas / music dramas. Unlike most opera composers, Wagner wrote both the libretto and the music for each of his stage works. Wagner had his own opera house built, the Bayreuth Festspielhaus, and his most important stage works continue to be performed there today at the annual Bayreuth Festival. Notable for his four-opera cycle Der Ring des Nibelungen, Tristan und Isolde, Parsifal, Die Meistersinger, etc. In 1855, Richard Wagner visited London to conduct the Philharmonic Society in concerts of his own works.
Wagner: Die Walkürie
- Starring: Stemme (Brûnnhilde), Lundgren (Wotan), Skelton (Siegmund), Magee (Sieglinde), Connolly (Fricka), Davidsen (Ortlinde), etc
- Conductor: Antonio Pappano, ROH Chorus & Orchestra
- Opus Arte: 2-DVDs (OA 1308D) (240 minutes)
- Release Date: 20th March, 2020
- Details: The second part of Keith Warner’s epic staging of the Ring Cycle, Antonio Pappano conducts The Royal Opera in this 2018 staging.
DVD in stock approx: £27.20